Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lost.

This would perfectly describe my Wednesday - Nightness. My motto for this semester is to jump out of my comfort zone. Often times I get in such a comfortable place with my life that I don't want to change. I figured since I am in grad school and a tad more grown up, that I should break that pattern. So in my new motto-ness, I decided to try a Bible study at Grace Bible Church for 20s/30s.

The bulletin and the leader of the Bible study said that it started on Wednesday September 15. So I pulled into the parking lot; not too early and not too late. And there were maybe 3 cars there. I already get super nervous about trying new things by myself and this was not helping. I thought that I had maybe gotten the place, date, time wrong. But I checked and doubled checked and I was in the correct place at the correct time on the correct date. Then I saw someone get out of their car and walk in. So I decided to do the same. A few more of us trickled in and little did we know that apparently we all never heard that this Bible study did not start until NEXT week. Oh boy. But we thought we are here why not have a Bible study. And it was so great! There were only 8 of us but someone said we all came for a reason, let's see what it's for.

We went through The Parable of the Lost Son in Luke 15 and what a wonderful way to start out Bible study. I think it was the passage that all of us were looking for. Me in particular. When we read the passage and discussed it, the Lord shined a new light for me. When I had been taught the Parable of the Lost Son in the past, the focus had always been on the Lost Son and how his Father gladly welcomed him back into his arms disregarding all of his sins and giving him a clean slate. When I was reading through the passage it became clear to me who I have felt like for a long time: the other son. The son who has been there, who has done what the Father has asked, who never wronged Him. Often times I get angry when I see people get something that in my eyes they do not deserve. I think in my head, what have they done to deserve that? I have been obedient! In the Parable, after the son expresses to the Father exactly what I feel sometimes, he replies, "My son, you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." (Luke 15:31-32) I think for me I often forget how much the Lord does provide for me and how far His grace reaches. I don't keep in perspective that He has a plan for me that is greater than I know and I get discouraged when others are gaining success while I sometimes feel stagnate. Reading this passage and seeing it in a different light has made me realize that although I am not getting instant gratification for my deeds on this earth, that the Lord is storing them up for me in heaven and my reward is far greater than I can ever imagine! I know there were times in my life when I was the Lost Son wishing that I could be the other son who is always with the Father. And now I know how wonderful it is to be the son who is always with the Father.

xoxo
mmb

No comments:

Post a Comment